Are you envious of that friend who has the perfect curly hair? We’ve all been there! However, what we don’t know is how troublesome curly hair can be and how difficult it can be to keep the curls looking fresh and healthy. It seems everyone who has straight hair, wants curly hair and vice versa.
Curly hair can be tricky to style. There is always that chance of frizz, or curls that just “do their own thing” that you cannot tame. We all know how important it is to keep our hair strong and healthy, but sometimes it is hard to know how to do that depending on your hair type. Learn how to take care of your hair with these 10 tops for curly hair below.
To all my curly headed girls out there, I got you!
Comb hair from the bottom
Use a wide tooth comb to work tangles out from the bottom up. Curly hair is more likely to break, so it is important to lightly work out the knots. Using a wide tooth comb allows your hair to freely untangle itself between the teeth versus a thin tooth comb where it will be easily tangled.
Style when wet
- This allows you to shape your curls as desired while holding that curl for a longer period of time after drying. This is very convenient for those who like to shower in the morning. You do not have to worry about using a hair dryer to style it how you want.
Do not blow dry
- This prevents frizzy hair. Try using a diffuser if you wish to dry your hair in another way besides air drying. All curly headed women know the disaster that frizzy curls cause!
- Deep conditioning is good for all hair types. Moisturized hair equals healthy hair, so it is essential that this takes place at least a couple of times per month. This will keep your curly locks healthy and bouncy.
Sleep in the pineapple bun
- The pineapple bun is a loosely gathered bun on the top of the head to help keep the shape and volume of your curls for styling the next morning. Super easy to do and even easier to style when you wake up to get ready the next day.
Get regular trims
- Although this is true with any hair type, it is especially crucial to get your curly hair trimmed. Split ends tend to make your hair frizzy (what a nightmare). Trims will also allow your curls to be bouncy and look fresh.
Use a curling iron
- You can always refresh your curls throughout the day with a curling iron. You shouldn’t have very many strands of hair to go over, but you can give some give some life to the dull pieces easily.
Sleep on a satin pillowcase
- Satin pillowcases cut down on friction and breakage while tossing and turning in bed at night. Cotton pillowcases have been known to absorb the product in your hair as well as natural moistures and oils. As soon as the natural oils and moisture is stripped from your hair, it will become very dry and brittle. This is the stage where hair is easily damaged.
Don’t over shampoo
- Shampooing your curls too often will cause the hair to dry out. This will result in dry, frizzy hair. It can also cause the hair to break off in the areas where it is really dry. Focus on shampooing your hair 2-3 times per week.
Use a Gel for Styling
– By using a gel to style your curls, you will help them stay in place how you want them to look. There are
hundreds of gel products on the market to choose from. Start with looking for a gel that is made specifically for women with curly hair. From there, you can choose based off a reputable brand, or off of recommendations from a friend or your hair stylist.
Curly hair can be all fun and games until it needs to be styled and look presentable. Those curls can have a mind of their own some days, but by incorporating these 10 tricks into your daily routine, you can find something that works for you!
Let us know in the comments what your favorite tip/trick is for styling your curly hair!