While dressing up can come naturally to most women, many men struggle to find the perfect outfit. Stylish dress shirts for men are available almost everywhere you just need to show your man how to choose them.
Some people think that wearing dress shirts is the easiest way to looked dressed up. Dress shirts will definitely make a guy look more “put together”. However, the garment is just a piece of the puzzle and it’s not the only thing that needs to be considered.
So, how can you help your man look better in dress shirts? Here are some tips to keep in mind:
1. Make sure the shirt fits.
Every fashionista knows that the fit of a garment is crucial to your outfit. This proves true even for men. And since the dress shirt is one of the first things people notice when a guy dresses up, it should really fit him well.
Pay close attention to:
- The shoulder seams- they should sit nicely at the edge of your man’s shoulders.
- The collar should be buttoned easily with room to fit two fingers.
- It should fit comfotably on his chest, under the armpits, and across the back. It should have at least 1 to 3 inches of room when pinched to allow him to move freely.
- The sleeves should be long enough that when he puts his arms up, the sleeves won’t come down to his forearm and pull the entire shirt up.
- The cuffs should be tight enough to cover the watch nicely but not too loose so that they hang off his arm
- The shirt should be long enough that it can be worn comfortably tucked or untucked.
2. Consider your guy’s physical traits when choosing a dress shirt.
As men come in different shapes and sizes, you should also know that there are various pieces of clothing that will suit them better. The collar can really make or break a guy’s look, so you should pay close attention to this part.
There are quite a few collar types that you can find nowadays, some of which are the following:
- Classic collars, a.k.a. point collars or straight collars, are the most easily found nowadays. They’re great for most men, especially those with rounder faces as they draw the attention down, therefore elongating their appearance.
- Button down collars are rarely found in dress shirts as they are often more casual options.
- Spread collars have their tips spread apart. They are great for guys with medium to long-shaped faces.
- Wingtip collars are the most formal style of dress shirts as they are most suitable to wear with tuxedos.
3. Make sure that the shirt is appropriate for the occasion.
While overdressing isn’t necessarily a problem, underdressing can really put a damper on your man’s look. Make sure that the style of the dress shirt is appropriate for the occasion. If they’re dressing for the office, classic collars in a solid color or subdued print will do. For more formal occasions, plain colors are the best.