Did you know that the early civilizations of Mesopotamia, around 7,000 BC, were the first people to use pillows? However, the pillows used during that time were completely different from what we know them as now. They were made of stone. People used pillows not only to provide comfort to their head but to keep away bugs and insects from their hair, mouth, nose, and ears, while sleeping.
Today, people have the choice of a variety of pillows, such as throw pillows, ergonomic pillows and even therapeutic pillows. Expert at Guzel Dezayns say that embroidered pillow covers and bedding sets are the first choice of most modern buyers, since such high quality linen adds elegance, luxury and an enriching touch to their home.
Importance of the Right Pillow
You may not realize it, but a good pillow is highly critical to your well being. It can also affect the way you go about your day. A good pillow helps you wake up feeling fresh. When you sleep on the wrong pillow, it takes your entire body out of alignment, especially the neck. This triggers or worsens neck pain, headaches and arm numbness. You will wake up in the morning feeling unrested and distressed.
It is highly important that you pay close attention to certain factors when buying the best pillow for yourself. Here are some important ones for you.
Important Factors to Consider When Choosing the Best Pillow
- Size: The size of the pillow depends largely on three factors, i.e., the size of the bed, the number of pillows you want and their usage. Corresponding to the mattress size, you’ll find pillow in three sizes, King, Queen and Standard. However, if you want, you can use a small pillow on a big bed and vice versa. However, make sure you choose the right duvet and cushion covers for king size or other sized beds.
- Softness: It is the way the synthetic or other filling is packed in the pillow that gives it its much-desired softness. Tightly stuffed filling makes a pillow firm, while for a softer feel, the filling is loosely packed.
- Sleep Position: This is a crucial factor in determining the right kind of pillow, which unfortunately most of us neglect. There are three types of sleepers, who need to pick their pillow accordingly:
- Back Sleepers: Such individuals should opt for a flat pillow, thick enough to support their spine and head.
- Side Sleepers: Many side sleepers like to place a pillow between their legs to keep their spine in alignment. This lowers the strain on the back as well. Hence, they can buy a loftier pillow.
- Stomach Sleepers: Such sleepers should opt for a thin pillow to prevent strain on the neck due to the height of the pillow.
4. Filling: When you’ll start looking for fillings, you’ll come across three major choices, feather, springy memory foam and polyester filling. Feather filling is a great choice in winter, since it retains warmth. Springy memory foam adjusts your head properly, hence is great for spine and neck problems. Of the three, it is the polyester filling that provides good support and retains its original shape for long, while also being the least expensive choice.
When looking for embroidered bedding sets, do take a look at the king size duvet covers & cushion covers options as well, to add style and sophistication in your bedroom.